Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Category||Nuts and seeds|
How to Skin and Roast Hazelnuts[edit | edit source]
- Add 3 tablespoons of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) to 2 cups boiling water; this will cause the mixture to foam up, keep stirring until the foam goes away. Note how much foam is produced; if it is anywhere close to the top of the pot switch to a larger pot.
- Add the nuts (this recipe is for approximately 1 cup) and blanch for 10 minutes. The baking soda neutralizes the acid skins, which can then be removed easily. This reaction can cause a lot of foam even at a low simmer. Stir the foam down (not the liquid) until the mixture settles down; then stir the mixture until the foaming stops (about 10 minutes).
- Drain the nuts in a sieve and rinse with cold water.
- Place the nuts in a container of cold water.
- Remove the skins under running water and place peeled nuts in the sieve over a container.
- When all the nuts are peeled, dry them off by patting handfuls in paper towels.
- Salt the nuts to taste while still damp (optional).
- To roast the hazelnuts, place skinned nuts on a baking sheet in a 275ºF oven for 20 - 30 minutes, stirring after 10 minutes.
To help slough off the skins after the hot and cold water process, rub between terry towels.