Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 3/4 cup sugar, plus three tablespoons
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- pinch each of salt and fine-ground ginger
- 3 egg yolks and whites, divided
- juice of one small lime
- 2 cups fruit nectar: peach, pear, apricot, or tropical fruits
- In a saucepan, beat together dry ingredients, egg yolks and lime juice until pale and creamy.
- Beat in fruit nectar.
- Bring to a full boil over medium heat, stirring constantly, especially towards the end.
- Cool pan in cold water.
- Beat egg whites with a pinch of salt and cream of tartar, sprinkling in the tablespoons of sugar, to form soft peaks.
- When fruit mixture is lukewarm, fold gently, turn into stemmed glasses and chill.
Notes: This dessert is excellent half-frozen. If pear nectar is used, try substituting one drop of peppermint oil for the ginger.