Cookbook | Ingredients | Recipes | Cuisine of the United States | Dessert
Date bars have crumbly upper and lower surfaces with a date filling in the middle. Also see the Date Squares recipe.
- Mix the dates, sugar, and water in a saucepan.
- Cook over low heat stirring constantly approx. 10 minutes or until thickened. Cool.
- Cream together the butter, shortening, and brown sugar in a separate container.
- Mix in the flour, salt, baking soda, and oats. (into the crumble crust mix, not the date filling)
- Grease a 13x9 pan.
- Evenly press ½ of the crumble mixture into the bottom of the pan.
- Spread the date filling on top.
- Evenly place remaining crumble mixture into the pan, pressing lightly.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes at 400°F, or until light brown.
- Cut into bars while still warm.