Cookbook:Danish Braised Cabbage (Rødkål)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Rødkål is a dish of Danish braised red cabbage.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Brown butter lightly.
- Add cabbage and stir well.
- Add vinegar, sugar, and salt.
- Let simmer 2-3 hours.
Notes, tips, and variations[edit | edit source]
- To reduce cabbage odor, bring the mixture to a boil, then place in a 325°F/160°C oven in a covered container for two hours. The flavor is even better when it is reheated.
- There is no need to cook the cabbage for more than 20 minutes really. The finished Rødkål will be less mushy and have a much higher nutritional value.
- Many kinds of spices can be added, according to taste and season. This includes thyme, bay leaves, orange zest, cloves, all spice, cinnamon sticks, star anise and black pepper. Fruits like apples, orange or mandarins can also be added and pairs well with the cabbage. Red wine, black currant juice, or apple juice can also be added with success.
- For Christmas, duck fat is often used instead of butter.