Cookbook:Crab Meat Canapé
Introduction[edit | edit source]
A dish for company or a special occasion. Currently (2014) regular size white lump crabmeat sells for $16.99 per pound; Jumbo size sells for $26.99 per pound. This canapé is large enough for a luncheon entrée; it may also be served as an appetizer. The dish is well known by habitués of Galatoire's Restaurant on Bourbon Street, New Orleans.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 1 cup Béchamel Sauce Louisiannaise
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- 1 small bunch chopped green onions
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 Tablespoon butter, room temperature
- 1 lb (about 0.5 kg) jumbo or regular size fresh white lump crab meat (from the body only, not the claws)
- Yolks of 2 eggs
- 2 Tablespoon fine breadcrumbs
- 2 tsp Parmesan cheese
- 4 slices toast
- 1 tsp flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Pick over crabmeat carefully with your fingers to assure the absence of crab shell. THIS STEP IS NECESSARY. Do it seated at a table.
- Sauté green onions in butter over medium heat until soft. Do not allow onions to brown.
- Add white lumpfish crab meat, then fold in béchamel sauce. When mixture begins to simmer, remove from heat and fold in beaten egg yolks. Refrigerate for 10 minutes in order to form canapes. Or, let stay in refrigerator overnight until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 350 °F (190 °C). Combine breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese in a mixing bowl. Trim the ends of the toast. Place trimmed toast on a baking sheet and spoon refrigerated crabmeat mixture onto toast, using an ice-cream scoop.
- Sprinkle canapés with breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese mixture. Dot each canape with soft butter. Bake for 20 minutes. Garnish each serving with flat-leaf parsley and a wedge of lemon.