Cookbook:Béchamel Sauce Louisiannaise
From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
Sauce Béchamel is one of the sauces mères of French Cuisine. This variation is used in Louisiana for seafood dishes, especially crab meat.
- 1 cup milk
- a quarter onion or 2 garlic toes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 to 2 tbsp butter
- 1 to 2 tbsp flour
- salt and pepper
- Steep the milk with a piece of onion or garlic and a bay leaf for 15 minutes.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan.
- Whisk in the flour and cook on medium to medium-high heat to make a roux.
- Gradually whisk in the milk.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until thick.