From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
|Servings||14 Corn Sticks|
- 1 cup (240ml) cornmeal
- 1 cup (240ml) all-purpose flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup (240ml) milk
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup (60ml) shortening
- ¼ cup (60ml) sugar (optional)
- ½ of a 15 ounce (about 150g) can whole corn, drained (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Grease a corn stick pan well, and preheat with oven. Cast iron works best.
- Combine corn meal, flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Add egg, sugar, and shortening.
- Beat until fairly smooth, about a minute.
- Pour into HOT, well-greased cornstick pan.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. If corn is added to batter, increase time a little.
- Serve hot and buttered.