Jump to navigation Jump to search
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee powder
- ¼ cup boiling water
- 10 ounce best-quality semisweet chocolate, in small pieces or chips
- 10 tablespoons (1¼ sticks) best-quality unsalted butter, cold and cut into small pieces
- 2 or 3 jalapeños, roasted, peeled, seeded, and finely chopped (wear rubber gloves)
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sift onto a plate
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- In a metal 1-quart mixing bowl, dissolve coffee in water.
- Add the chocolate and set on top of a pan of gently simmering water.
- When the chocolate has softened completely but is not hot, remove from heat and stir until smooth.
- Beat in the cold butter a small piece at a time, adding a new piece as soon as the previous one is almost absorbed.
- Beat with a hand-held electric mixer until creamy, about 10 minutes.
- Continue beating for a few minutes to cool. (This can also be done in a stand mixer, fitted with the whip attachment.)
- Add half of the jalapeños and taste. Add more jalapeño to your taste; remember that the heat will intensify with time. Try for a balance of sweet and heat.
- Scrape into a small, deep container, press a piece of plastic wrap on the surface, and chill overnight, until completely firm.
- Scoop out small balls and roll in the cocoa powder.
- Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
Tips, Notes, and Variations[edit | edit source]
- Roll the balls in finely chopped pistachios, almonds or macadamia nuts.