Cookbook:California Curry Chicken
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|California Curry Chicken|
This dish is an attempt to replicate the flavor of curry chicken dishes that are served at Indian restaurants in California.
Meat & Vegetables
- 4 T. cooking oil
- 1 cup of yellow onions, diced
- 2 t. garlic, minced
- 1-lb Chicken. Boneless, uncooked. Cut into cubes.
- 6 small potatoes, peeled, quartered, already cooked (boiled, baked or steamed)
- 4 T. mild curry powder
- 1 T. Chili powder
- 1 T. Paprika
- 1 t. Cumin, ground
- 1 t. garlic powder
- 2 t. Cardamom powder
- 1 t. Turmeric powder
- 1 t. mustard powder
- ¼ t. Cinnamon, ground
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 ½ cups (12-oz can) coconut milk
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1 can (12-oz) diced tomatoes, with liquid
- 4 T. Butter
- ¼ to ½ cup of instant mashed potato flakes
- Heat cooking oil in a 4-qt stockpot.
- Add onions and garlic. Fry for about 1 minute.
- Add chicken. Stir-fry for about 5 minutes.
- Add cooked potatoes.
- Add Spices, stir to coat chicken and potatoes. Cook for about 5 minutes more.
- Add Sauce ingredients, stir well, bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add ¼ cup of thickener, stir until curry is thickened. If a thicker curry is desired, add additional thickener (instant mashed potato flakes) a tablespoon at a time until desired thickness is achieved.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.