Cookbook:California Curry Chicken
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|California Curry Chicken|
This dish is an attempt to replicate the flavor of curry chicken dishes that are served at Indian restaurants in California.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
Meat and vegetables[edit | edit source]
- 4 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 cup diced yellow onions
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 lb boneless chicken meat, cut into cubes
- 6 small potatoes, peeled, quartered, and cooked (boiled, baked, or steamed)
Spices[edit | edit source]
- 4 tbsp mild curry powder
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp cardamom powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 bay leaf
Sauce[edit | edit source]
- 1 ½ cups (12 oz) coconut milk
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1 can (12 oz) diced tomatoes, with liquid
- 4 tbsp butter
Thickener[edit | edit source]
- ¼–½ cup of instant mashed potato flakes
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Heat cooking oil in a 4-quart stockpot.
- Add onions and garlic. Fry for about 1 minute.
- Add chicken. Stir-fry for about 5 minutes.
- Add cooked potatoes.
- Add all the spices, and stir to coat chicken and potatoes. Cook for about 5 minutes more.
- Add sauce ingredients, stir well, bring to a simmer, and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add ¼ cup of mashed potato flakes, and stir until curry is thickened. If a thicker curry is desired, add additional potato flakes a tablespoon at a time until desired thickness is achieved.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.