Jump to navigation Jump to search
Ingredient[edit | edit source]
- 3 cups (~750 mL) water and/or milk
- 1 cup (~250 mL) coarse ground cornmeal or polenta
- Butter and/or olive oil to taste (likely in the range of 1–2 tablespoons / 15–30 mL)
- Parmesan cheese, to taste
Equipment[edit | edit source]
- Heavy pot with lid
- Wooden spoon or similar
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Bring the liquid to a boil in a heavy pot. If you're using milk, keep an eye on it: it can easily boil over and make a mess all over the place in seconds.
- When the liquid is at a boil, add a pinch or so of salt. Add the polenta, stirring frequently to avoid lumps and form a stable suspension.
- Cover pot and turn to low heat, checking on it occasionally. Add more liquid if necessary. The polenta will be finished in approximately 45 minutes.
- Polenta can be kept on low heat for up to 20 minutes or allowed to cool for future use.