Banana bread is a basic, reliable banana bread recipe. The perfect thing to do with over-ripe bananas! An alternative version of this recipe can be found here.
Volumetric[note 1] Grams Baker's % 1 cup white sugar 200 80% ½ cup butter, softened 113.5 45.4% 3 bananas (the riper the better), mashed 243-456 97.2-182.4% 2 eggs 100 40% 2 cups all-purpose flour 250 100% ½ tsp. baking soda 2.3 0.92% ⅓ cup sour milk or buttermilk 81.67 32.67% ¼ tsp. salt 1.5 0.6% 1 tsp vanilla extract 4.2 1.68% Formula 996.17-1209.17 398.47-483.67%
Note: ½ tsp. baking powder and ⅓ cup milk can be substituted for the sour milk/buttermilk and baking soda.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Lightly grease an 8 in x 4 in (20 cm x 10 cm) loaf pan.
- Combine all ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Beat well.
- Pour batter into pan.
- Bake on middle shelf of oven for 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
Makes one loaf.
- Weight conversions from USDA National Nutrient Database. Original recipe text and ingredient order preserved. Banana size range is extra small to extra large. Large egg size presumed.