Jump to navigation Jump to search
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 2 cups (480 mL) sugar
- 1 cup (240 mL) water
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) cream of tartar
- 1 Tbs. (15 mL) citric acid 
- powdered sugar
Preparation[edit | edit source]
- Boil the sugar, water and cream of tartar over medium-low heat stirring gently until syrup reaches 310ºF (155ºC) (hard crack) or is pale brown, hardens completely when dropped on to a cold plate and snaps between the teeth when cold.
- Pour the mixture onto an oiled work and sprinkle with the citric acid.
- Fold in the sides and thoroughly work the acid in.
- When it is cool enough to touch, roll it into sticks and snip off drop size bits.
- Sift powdered sugar onto them and shake to coat.
- Allow to cool and store in an air-tight container.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- In the United States, citric acid is available from some Armenian and South Asian grocers, and on-line from cheese-making suppliers.