Annotations of The Complete Peanuts/1989 to 1990
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Annotations to The Complete Peanuts: 1989 to 1990 by Charles M. Schulz (Fantagraphics Books, 2013. ISBN 1606996800
- p. 17 (February 6, 1989) The strip is a salute to Calvin and Hobbes, created by Bill Watterson. Calvin and Hobbes was published from November 18, 1985 to December 31, 1995, and was already famous in 1989.
- p. 73 (June 18, 1989) "There were eight of us in the litter." This was already mentionned in the strip of May 5, 1965.
- p. 81 (July 8, 1989) "Those two guys on TV hated it." Those two guys must be Siskel and Ebert, whose popular TV shows about movies had become a common reference in the United States during the 1980s.
- p. 103 (August 27, 1989) The strip makes reference to the motion picture Field of Dreams, released on May 21, 1989.
- p. 241 (July 15, 1990) "Those two guys on TV loved it." See note of page 81.
- p. 294 (November 16, 1990) Miss Othmar is back again as the teacher of Linus, after an absence of more than 21 years. Her presence in the strip had always been, for that matter, strangely hesitant. She was always on the verge of leaving for one reason or another, to the chagrin of Linus. She was first mentioned on October 6, 1959, but soon after she quit her job because she married Mr. Hagemeyer, somewhere between February 2, 1960 (when she announced the wedding to the class) and February 15, 1960 (when Linus received a thank you letter from her.) However, she was back to work one year and a half later on September 1, 1961. Another year later, on December 19, 1962, she announced her retirement because she wanted to start "a family of her own." Yet she was still teaching on January 15, 1965. Finally, she was fired on February 28, 1969, after a strike that had started on February 24, and replaced by Miss Halverson on March 5. Linus' last thoughts for Miss Othmar, before today, were on March 7, 1969.