From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
- about 1 pound (450g) stewing beef
- about 1/4 cup (30g) flour
- 1 teaspoon butter or margarine
- 3 or 4 large onions, cut in rings
- 5 whole cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cube of beef stock or 1 1/2 tsp powdered stock
- 1 cup (250ml) warm water
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 bottle of dark beer
- Make sure beef is in bite size pieces, cut if you have to. Mix flour and salt & pepper to taste. Dredge meat in flour.
- Melt butter in heavy pan, sear meat till lightly browned.
- Add onions and seasonings. Stir until onions are starting to get transparent.
- Stir together water and stock, til the stock has dissolved. (or use 1 cup beef stock). Add to meat/onion mixture along with vinegar and beer. (Can use stock in place of beer)
- Bring to a boil then lower heat and let simmer til meat is tender, about 3 hours. Stirring occasionally to avoid scorching. Check seasoning add salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve over rice. enjoy