Sport Innovation/Jessica Watson/Project Scope
Project Scope[edit | edit source]
Goals[edit | edit source]
Sail solo, unassisted and non-stop around the world.
Meet International Sailing Federation’s WSSRC criteria for world record status of round-the-world journeys.
Priorities[edit | edit source]
Safety, health and wellbeing of Watson.
Achieve record for youngest person to sail around the world solo, unassisted and non-stop.
Alternative Strategies[edit | edit source]
Due to the nature of this project, it was likely for unforeseen circumstances, dangerous conditions and disadvantageous events to occur and be altered throughout the journey.
If deemed absolutely necessary and in order to remain as safe as possible, the following contingency plans applied:
- Seek assistance
- Obtain necessary parts for repairs
- Dock into a port
- Alter the route
- Cease circumnavigation
Milestones[edit | edit source]
- January 2008 – Planning begins; spreading the word, gaining community and investment interest, boat purchased and refurbished, training and intense sailing undertaken, multi-skilled support team formed, potential sponsors approached.
- 13 May 2009 – Expedition formally announced (dates and goals established) and yacht unveiled
- 7 September 2009 – Ella’s Pink Lady collides with cargo ship whilst in transit from Mooloolaba to Sydney
- 31 August 2009 – Elle Baché Announced as Major Sponsor
- 18 October 2009 – Departed Sydney Harbour
- 19/22 November 2009 – Crossed equator (first time/second time)
- 25 December 2009 – Passed Point Nemo (part furthest from land)
- 13 January 2010 – Passed Cape Horn 11 days ahead of schedule
- 23 January 2010 – Suffered four knock-downs in severe storm
- 15 May 2010 – Returned to Sydney Harbour
- 29 July 2010 – “True Spirit” book is published
- 20 August 2010 – Documentary “210 Days” is released
- 25 January 2011 – Young Australian of the Year Title
- April 2011 – Ella’s Pink Lady jointly purchased by State & Federal Governments for $300, 000
- 26 January 2012 – Order of Australia Medal
- 20 August 2012 – Paramount Pictures announces “True Spirit” will be made into a movie