Sport Innovation/Jessica Watson/Background
Background[edit | edit source]
Project Specification[edit | edit source]
The objectives set by Jessica Watson and her team defined the project specification. These key targets included:
• Journey solo, unassisted and non-stop
• Depart and return from the same port
• Cross all lines of longitude
• Cross the equator entering the Northern Hemisphere at least once, and
• Round the Southern landmarks of South America and South Africa
• Cover an orthodromic distance of at least 21,600nmi (40,000km)
Stakeholders[edit | edit source]
Jessica Watson, Family & Friends
Management & Public Relations Team
5 Oceans Media, headed by Public Relations Manager Andrew Fraser, was responsible for all management aspects of the Jessica Watson journey; website, sponsorship, marketing communications and associated events. More recently, they have presented Watson’s challenge through successful documentaries (“210 Days” and “Another Challenge”), a book release (“True Spirit”) and in early stages of production, a film adaptation called “True Spirit” (McNamara & Nable, 2012).
Sponsors & Suppliers
Watson had 40 Voyage Sponsors, namely OneHD and Panasonic which covered her endeavour and supplied electronics such as ToughBooks and video cameras which she used to communicate with; regularly updating online blogs, streaming live calls with media, family and support team, and captured video content of the voyage (Jessica Watson, 2013).