This guide was written as a basic guide on ripping a DVD into a single computer video file via the free program MeGUI. The aim of this guide is to be a complete walkthrough of the basic concepts for ripping a DVD, and is aimed at everyone from the complete newbie to intermediate users.
There is an Italian (Italiano) version of this guide.
- Setting up the required programs,
- Ripping the DVD, which involves:
- Ripping the data off the DVD Disc
- Demuxing the audio streams and creating a d2v index.
- Encoding the audio,
- Encoding the video, which involves:
- Creating an avs script,
- Calculating the required bitrate,
- Encoding the video.
- Muxing together the two streams with chapters to produce the final file.
It does not cover:
- Using any of the automated features of MeGUI for video encoding. This guide is intended to show people how to use MeGUI the 'manual' way.
- Using alternate DVD rippers. DVD Decrypter cannot rip all DVDs, if it fails on ripping your disc or you wish to use a different ripper, then feel free. A few recommended rippers are DVD Fab Decrypter or RipIt4Me. It should be reasonably straight forward to work out the instructions yourself.
- Multiple audio or video tracks.
- 5.1 audio (if you want to do this, I would recommend muxing the original ac3 file and not doing any encoding).