Introduction[edit | edit source]
The primary author, Attila Kun(ottwiz), thought that there should be an easy to use Linux tutorial for those who learn it in a formal or informal educational setting, but have no idea what to do with Linux. Attila Kun(ottwiz) studies Linux Basics as a subject in the school year 2018/2019 in high school, so his previous versions has a date like "2019.03.16."
This wikibook is translated from the Hungarian version of Linux alapok and covers the basics of Linux systems. Of course there will be things that work differently in other distributions such as files, but it mostly reflects what is seen in common distributions of Linux.
The number of sources indicates that we should not start from one source, but we should dive deep in to see things clearly. We should seek after on the Internet that how the article reflects reality (we can test it under live/virtual system, and if we can, we should search that if it's right).
Any contributions to this book are more than welcome!
Acknowledgments[edit | edit source]
I'd like to give big thanks to thottee from the Hungarian PenguinPit Discord community who helped a lot creating the original document(it was originally created in LibreOffice but I didn't want to suffer with making of it if I need to edit it sometimes), Balázs Úr who supervised this document and corrected the errors, and Balázs Meskó who corrected the grammar mistakes.
Chapters[edit | edit source]
- Types of Operating Systems (UNIX, Windows, Mac, Linux) [Stub]
- Fundamental conceptions in Linux (more important distributions)
- Distributions for beginners
- Installation, bootloader [Stub]
- Package management [Stub]
- The structure of Linux
- Basic commands
- Graphical interfaces
- Terminals, command prompt, alias, history
- Archiving, mounting in depth
- User management
- User management (System administrator)
- Package management, process management
- Filesystem, permissions
- If you want to deal more with Linux
- Interesting stuff
Sources of this wikibook (All hungarian)[edit | edit source]
- Lesson notes (2018-2019, Linux Basics subject)
- https://m-info.hu/sites/default/files/oktatas/LINUX_OS_alapok_dia_(2017).pdf (as skeleton of the wikibook(and the pdf that was created before), lots of things have been taken) - dead link, here is the archive
- https://wiki.hup.hu (In the 2nd chapter at the distro descriptions), GNU GPL license
- Hungarian Wikipedia: File Allocation Table - It appears in Chapter 5
- Hungarian Wikipedia: Rendszermag (System kernel) - It appears in Chapter 5
- Hungarian Wikipedia: X_Window_System - It appears in the 7th chapter at "X Window System"
- https://web.archive.org/web/20200603082534/http://linuxkezdoknek.hu/downloads.php?cat_id=1&download_id=2 - It appears in 9th chapter (Linux parancsok -> tar program) - Domain is not online anymore, so the download link, Wayback Archive did not saved it, but here is the location of it.
- https://www.tldp.org/LDP/lame/LAME/linux-admin-made-easy/shadow-file-formats.html - It appears at the "shadow" part of Chapter 10 - License: GNU FDL 1.3, author: Steve Frampton
- https://szit.hu - some topics that the 2nd source contained - License: GNU FDL 1.3, author: András Sallai
- https://szit.hu/doku.php?id=oktatas:linux:felhasznalokezeles - content of Chapter 10 - License: GNU FDL 1.3, author: András Sallai
- https://szit.hu/doku.php?id=oktatas:linux:sudo - Chapter 11 - sudo - License: GNU FDL 1.3, author: András Sallai
- https://szit.hu/doku.php?id=oktatas:linux:jogok - Content of Chapter 13 - License: GNU FDL 1.3, author: András Sallai
- http://szabadszoftver.kormany.hu/wp-content/uploads/sysadmin_I.pdf - Process management part of Chapter 12
References[edit | edit source]
License[edit | edit source]
CC-BY-SA 3.0 and GNU FDL 1.3 (the latter one because of the content of szit.hu and tldp.org), GNU GPL for the 2nd chapter's distribution descriptions.