Introduction to Art
This book is not designed to teach the reader how to be an artist, nor is it step-by step instruction on how to directly make art. This book is an overview of tools, procedures and creation paradigms for creating art within each of the major artistic disciplines.
Training a person to create art is not a subject that can be easily handled by any one book, at least not effectively. Learning to create art is a process that consists of directed practice and diligent study.
The aim of this book is to give the reader a better understanding for some of the individual components that generally make up artistic creation and the creative process.
Art, an Introduction
- What is Art?
- How to Use This Book
- What is the Creative Process?
- Conceptualizing A Work of Art
- Drawing I – Overview, Examples, and Tools Used
- Drawing II – Forms of Drawing (i.e. Line Drawing)
- Drawing Exercises – Exercises for Learning Drawing
- Painting I – Overview, Examples, and Tools Used
- Painting II – Forms of Painting (i.e. Water Colors)
- Paints (Water-Based) – Important Considerations for Water-Based Paints
- Paints (Oil-Based) – Important Considerations for Oil-Based Paints
- Paints (Wax-Based) – Important Considerations for Encaustic Paints
- Painting Exercises – Exercises for Learning Painting
- Digital Art I – Overview, Examples, and Tools Used
- Digital Art II – Forms of Digital Art (i.e. Vector Graphics)
- Digital Art (Color Schemes) – Important Considerations for Digital Color Schemes
- Digital Art Exercises – Exercises for Learning Making Digital Art
- Sculpture I – Overview, Examples, and Tools Used
- How to Make a Living
- Practical Approach for the Artist – Learning how to market your Art, to whom, where and when. Resources.
- Legalities Learning copyrights, attribution laws, contractual arrangements. Keeping the books.
- Finer points for Contemporary Fine Artists – Overcoming "starving artist" mythology, how to make a living as an artist while you're still alive. Interviews with successful contemporaries.
See the dedicated text to Art History.