Cookbook:Vetkoek (South African Fried Dough)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Vetkoek is a South African fried dough. It can be savory or sweet—the recipe below makes sweet doughnut-like pastries.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 5 cups of flour
- 1 sachet of instant dry yeast
- 750 ml of warm water
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of sugar
- 750 ml of oil, for frying
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- In a large bowl combine the flour, salt, sugar and yeast.
- Add water, and mix until a dough forms.
- Knead the dough for approximately 10 minutes.
- Put the dough in an oiled bowl, and cover it tightly. Let the dough rise for 1-2 hours.
- Heat the oil in a pot (target temperature should be around 350-375˚F).
- Shape the dough into balls, and add to the hot oil. Do not overcrowd the pot or let the temperature drop too much.
- Continue turning the dough balls until golden brown all over and cooked through.
- Serve hot or cold with cold or hot beverage.