Cookbook:Texas Brisket Sandwiches
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 1 (8 pound) beef brisket, trimmed to 1/4 inch of fat
- 2 Tbs salt
- 2 Tbs black peppercorns, cracked
- 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup yellow mustard, divided
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper
- Large mesquite chunks
- 1 Tbs garlic powder
- 1/4 cup paprika
- 2 Tbs hot sauce
- 9 hamburger buns
- 3 Tbs molasses
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Combine hot sauce, molasses, vinegar, and 1/4 cup mustard. Pour into a spray bottle and set aside.
- Coat brisket with 1/2 cup of the mustard. Set aside.
- Combine seasonings and salt. Press mixture into both sides of brisket. Refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, heat up a smoker to 200 degrees F with the mesquite chunks. Add brisket and cook 9 hours, spraying every 3 hours with vinegar mixture, and changing wood as needed to keep temperature at 200 degrees F.
- Remove brisket from smoker and let rest 1/2 hour. Separate along the fat line and slice thinly across the grain.
- Finely chop slices and toss with remaining vinegar mixture. Place 1/9 into each bun and serve warm.
Notes, Tips, and Variations[edit | edit source]
If you don't have a smoker, just preheat your oven to 190 degrees F. Place 3/4 cup soaked mesquite chips in the bottom of a roasting pan and add a rack and your rubbed brisket. Cover tightly with foil and cook the same.