From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
Stuffed burgers are gaining popularity because you don't really know what you're gonna bite down on. Stuffing? Meat?
- 1 pound (80/20 fat ratio) ground chuck
- 4 slices crisp-cooked bacon, crumbled
- 4 slices pepper jack cheese, torn
- 1/4 large onion, finely diced
- 3 tbs shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed and minced
- Olive oil
- 3 tbs unsalted butter
- 4 hamburger buns, split and toasted
- Melted butter
- Heat 2 tbs olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic and onion and cook until garlic is golden.
- Combine cheeses, bacon, cooked onion and garlic, and butter. Set aside.
- Form meat into 8 equal patties. Make an indentation into the middle of each patty and place a dollop of cheese mixture into dent. Place 1 patty on top of each other, stuffing side down, and push down until patty is about 3/4 inch thick. Set aside while you heat your trusty charcoal grill (not with that solvent stuff).
- Brush patties with olive oil and season liberally on both sides with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Set down on grill and cook, turning often, until instant-read thermometer inserted into the meat, not the stuffing, reads desired temperature (at least 160F).
- Brush the cut side of each bun with melted butter. Place a patty on top of a bottom half of a bun and top with a top half of a bun. Serve warm.