|Steak and Ale Pie|
||Over 2 Hours|
Cookbook | Ingredients | Recipes | Meat recipes | Cuisine of the United Kingdom
- 900 g (2 lb) good beef stewing steak
- vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) plain flour
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 handful fresh thyme, marjoram and chopped parsley
- 1 tsp (5.0 ml) English mustard
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and cracked black pepper
- 150 ml (5.3 imp fl oz; 5.1 US fl oz) beef stock
- 125 ml (4.4 imp fl oz; 4.2 US fl oz) ale
- 450 g (1 lb) puff pastry
- Cut the beef into cubes about 2.5 cm (1 in) square.
- Heat oil in a saucepan and fry the onion, without colouring.
- Add beef, making sure the meat is at room temperature first, and cook until medium brown.
- Stir in the flour and cook until dark brown (about 1 minute)
- Add Worcestershire sauce, thyme, marjoram, mustard, bay leaf and seasoning.
- Slowly add beef stock and ale then bring to the boil.
- Simmer gently until beef is almost tender, approximately 1 ½ hours.
- Preheat oven to 200 °C (400 °F).
- Remove meat from heat, skim off any fat, adjust seasoning and add fresh chopped parsley.
- Place in pie dish or individual dishes. Cover pie dish (or dishes) with the pastry and trim edges.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until pastry is well-risen and golden brown.