Cookbook:Soup Joumou (Haitian Beef and Squash Soup)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 scallions, sliced, plus more for garnish
- ¼ cup roughly-chopped parsley
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 1 medium shallot, sliced
- 1 scotch bonnet chile, stemmed and seeded
- Juice of 1 lime, plus wedges for serving
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 lb beef chuck, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 8 cups beef stock
- 2 carrots, cut into 1½-inch pieces
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 1½-inch pieces
- 1 small leek, trimmed, halved lengthwise and cut into 1½-inch pieces; rinsed
- 1 small yellow onion, cut into 1½-inch pieces
- 1 large Yukon gold potato, peeled and cut into 1½-inch pieces
- 1 medium turnip, peeled and cut into 1½-inch pieces
- ½ small green cabbage, cored and cut into 1½-inch pieces
- ½ small calabaza or kabocha squash, cut into 1-inch pieces
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Purée garlic, scallions, parsley, thyme, shallots, chile, juice, salt and pepper, and ½ cup water in a blender until smooth; mix with beef in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Remove beef from marinade and dry with paper towels; set aside.
- Heat oil in a 8 qt saucepan over medium-high heat. Add beef; cook, turning as needed, until browned, about 8 minutes. Add stock and bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium, and cook, stirring occasionally, until beef is tender, about 1½ hours. Add carrots, celery, leeks, onion, potatoes, turnips, and cabbage; cook, slightly covered and stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring squash and 2 cups water to a boil in a 2 qt saucepan over high heat; reduce heat to medium-low and cook, covered, until squash is tender, about 10 minutes. Drain, reserving ½ cup cooking liquid and transfer squash and liquid to a blender; purée until smooth and set aside. When vegetables are tender, uncover, and stir in reserved squash purée; cook, stirring occasionally, until soup is slightly thick, 5–10 minutes more
- Season soup with salt and pepper and serve with scallions and lime wedges.