Cookbook:San Francisco style Scallop Ceviche
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 1 pound (450 g) bay scallops
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) lemon juice (about 3-4 lemons)
- 4 red bell peppers, roasted, peeled, and seeded
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) cayenne pepper, ground
- Salt, to taste
- 1 avocado, peeled and sliced
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- In a non-reactive bowl, combine the scallops and lemon juice, add more juice as needed to cover the scallops. Refrigerate, covered, and stir often for 2 hours, until the scallops become opaque.
- For the sauce, add the bell peppers, vinegar, oil, cayenne, and salt into a food processor or blender, and purée.
- To serve, spoon the sauce onto individual plates, drain the scallops and place on the sauce. Garnish with slices of avocado.
Serves 4 as a main dish, 6 as an appetizer.
Variations[edit | edit source]
- For a more Southwestern flavor, replace 1/4 cup lemon juice with lime juice, and replace the bell peppers with New Mexico chili peppers.
Warning[edit | edit source]
Eating raw seafood is an effective way to get sick if the ingredients are not fresh.