Cookbook:Roasted Vegetable Pasta
From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
Roasted Vegetable Pasta This is a tried and true favorite. You can add whatever vegetables you prefer.
- 3 large leeks, white parts only, split in half lengthwise and cut to bites sized pieces
- 1 medium red onion, whacked into eighths
- 1 red bell pepper (sometimes use 2) cut into wide strips
- olive oil
- 2 fresh sprigs of thyme
- Vegetable stock or water
- 4 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups (360ml) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup (120ml) chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup (60ml) white wine
- 1 tablespoon (or less) of salt
- 3/4 pound (330g)dried penne pasta (doesn't have to be penne)
- 1/3 cup (80ml) grated Parmesan cheese
- optional: 3 ounces (85g) mozzarella or goat cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. (220c)
- Put leeks, onion, and red bell pepper in a shallow roasting pan, tossing them with a tablespoon of olive oil to coat them. Add thyme and roast until they are cooked and start to brown (about 30-45 minutes). Hint: check early to make sure they're not burning, and add a little water or vegetable stock if the juices are evaporating.
- While vegetables are roasting, sauté the garlic in a tablespoon of olive oil until it begins to colour. Add the tomato sauce and simmer 1 minute. Then turn off heat and add the basil. Stir the roasted vegetables into the sauce. Gorgeous!
- Turn oven down to 375 F (190c). Add wine to roasting pan and stir, scraping up bits of vegetables that are stuck to pan, and add these deglazed juices to the sauce.
- Boil large pot of water and add the salt and pasta - undercook the pasta - should take only 6-8 minutes.
- Drain pasta, add it to the sauce and vegetables. Add the cheese and mix it all. Grease a 2 to 2 1/2 quart casserole dish and pour it all in. Top with the optional mozzarella or goat cheese if you like, then bake it all for another 15 minutes in the 375 F (190c) oven.