Cookbook:Roast Beef Round with Au Jus
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Slow roasting makes normally tough eye of round tender.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 1 (2 1/2 pounds) eye of round roast, trimmed of extra fat
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 Tbs dried thyme
- 1 Tbs dried rosemary
- 1 Tbs each salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1-2 tbs all-purpose flour, depending on how much drippings you get.
- Olive oil
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Coat roast with olive oil on all sides. Combine remaining ingredients and rub into all sides of roast.
- Insert a probe thermometer into the center of the roast. Place on a roasting rack in a large (not nonstick!) roasting pan and bake at 200 degrees F until internal temperature reaches 120 degrees.
- Remove roast from pan and heat pan over high heat while oven heats to 500 degrees F.
- Add roast to pan and place pan back in oven. Cook until internal temperature reaches 135 for medium-rare.
- Remove roast from pan and keep warm.
- Skim fat from pan juices and reserve 1-2 tbs, depending on how much jus you get. Remove remaining drippings from pan and reserve.
- Whisk in flour and heat on two burners set on medium high heat. Cook, whisking continuously, until mixture turns light blond.
- Add reserved drippings and wine to pan and deglaze. Bring to a boil and cook until reduced by 1/3.
- Serve beef warm with au jus.