Jump to navigation Jump to search
Traditional Italian Risotto
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2½ cups risotto rice (plump, medium grain rice that contains a lot of starch, the types Arborio or Carnaroli are traditionally best. Other rices that work well are Roma, Vialone, Nano and Maratelli.)
- ¾ cup white wine
- 6 cups chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon saffron powder
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- salt to taste
Make sure your stock is simmering before you begin. It's important that the temperature is as high as possible, without letting the stock boil. The surface of the stock should just be moving a little.
- Sauté the onion until soft.
- Add the rice and mix well until it is coated the oil.
- Add the wine and stir constantly over medium heat until it evaporates.
- Add enough broth to cover the rice and continue to stir until the liquid is absorbed.
- Keep adding broth, a little at a time, while constantly stirring until the rice is done.
- In a small bowl, dissolve the saffron in a little hot broth and add it to the rice.
- Stir in the Parmesan cheese and season with salt to taste.
- Serve immediately.