Cookbook:Rice with Black Beans (Arroz con Frijoles Negros)
|Rice with Black Beans (Arroz con Frijoles Negros)|
Arroz con frijoles negros (rice with black beans) is one of the many rice and bean dishes that are extremely popular throughout Latin America, especially in the Caribbean. Most people serve meat or fish with rice and beans. However it also works well as a vegetarian or vegan main course.
Below is the Cuban version of this dish.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 1 pound (500 g) of dried black beans
- 1 large green pepper (cut in half, seeds and stem removed)
- 1/3 cup of olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, smashed and chopped
- 1 large green pepper (seeds & stem removed, then chopped)
- 4 teaspoons of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons of sugar (or half a packet of low-calorie sweetener)
- 2 tablespoons of cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dry of white wine (cooking wine or dry sherry is fine)
- olive oil (see below for quantities)
- 2 cups of converted rice
Preparation[edit | edit source]
- The night before you plan to cook, wash the beans and soak them in a large pot with 10 cups of water and one half of a green pepper.
- The next day, cook them in the same water until they are softer (a low boil, stirring occasionally, about an hour).
- In a frying pan, heat two tablespoons of oil and sauté the chopped onion, garlic, and green pepper (this is called a sofrito) until soft (about 5-10 min.)
- Take a cup of the soft black beans in some liquid and put in a blender. Liquefy the beans. Add this to the frying pan and mix the bean liquid with the sofrito. Then, add the contents of the frying pan to the big pot of beans. Add salt, pepper, oregano, bay leaf, and sugar.
- Boil about another hour, stirring occasionally. Add vinegar and cooking wine.
- Boil for about another hour to thicken. Add the two tablespoons of olive oil and serve.
- In another large sauce pan, combine rice, four and a half cups of water and two tablespoons of olive oil.
- Bring to a boil then reduce to simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Fluff the rice with a fork once the water has evaporated.
Note: If the beans are too watery, boil until the right consistency. They keep for about a week in the refrigerator – or they freeze well.
How to serve[edit | edit source]
- First option: place a serving of rice on each plate with a ladle full of beans on top. (This is the most common method.)
- Second option: place a serving of rice on each plate and a small side bowl holding a serving of beans for each diner.
- Third option: place a serving of rice on each plate and place the beans in a large serving bowl in the middle of the table.
Encourage your guests to thoroughly mix their individual servings of rice and beans.