Jump to navigation Jump to search
Rice Pilaf. Pilaf can be served as a side-dish or main dish.
- 6 Tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup uncooked orzo pasta or uncooked vermicelli pasta broken into small pieces
- 2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 4 cups boiling hot chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 4 cloves
- 1 big onion, finely cut
- 2 carrots in fine cubes
- Melt butter or margarine in heavy deep pan or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add vegetables and let them be lightly cooked without coloring, using the vegies would mean you omit the orzo pasta
- Add orzo pasta (or small broken pieces of vermicelli pasta) and cook, stirring constantly until pasta is golden brown.
- Add rice and stir until rice is well coated with butter. Allow rice to simmer in butter for a minute or two.
- Add boiling chicken broth and salt.
- Lower heat to a simmer, cover pan and cook 25-minutes over low heat until liquid is absorbed.
- Gently fluff with a fork. Let stand for 15 to 20 minutes before serving.
Makes 8 servings.
Notes, tips and variations
- Substitute an equal amount of vegetable broth for the chicken broth to create a vegetarian version of this recipe.
- Substitute orzo with pine nuts if desired; this is traditionally done in Lebanon.