Cookbook:Pate (Nigerian Braised Maize Porridge)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Pate (Nigerian Braised Maize Porridge)|
Pate is a typical Nigerian Hausa food prepared from cornmeal (tsaki). It is prepared for occasions such as sendforths, traditional marriages, and more.
Ingredient[edit | edit source]
- Kenaf leaf (rama)
- Meat, in pieces
- Seasoning cubes
- Salt to taste
- Locust beans
- Fresh pepper, grated
- White cornmeal (tsaki)
- Scent leaves, chopped
- Fresh tomatoes (optional), chopped
- Onions, chopped
- Groundnut, mashed
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Rinse kenaf leaves, pluck and dice into large pieces, and boil.
- Rinse meat, add seasoning, and boil until tender.
- When meat is tender, add locust beans, grated pepper, and water. Cover pot and allow to boil.
- Add tsaki, stirring to prevent lumps. Cook until a thick porridge is formed.
- Add chopped scent leaves, tomatoes, onion, and mashed groundnut.
- Add water if it is too thick, cover pot, and allow to cook for a few minutes.
- Stir in the kenaf leaves, and allow to steam for a few minutes.