Cookbook:Nigerian Peppered Fish
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Nigerian Peppered Fish|
Nigerian peppered fish is prepared from fishes tilapia and catfish. It is easy to prepare and served with pounded yam, jollof rice, or yam pottage.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- Tilapia or catfish
- Tatase (red bell pepper)
- Habanero pepper, puréed
- Black pepper
- Onions, sliced
- Vegetable oil
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Clean the fish, removing the scales, guts, and gills. Fillet it, and cut the flesh into small pieces.
- Blend together the tatase pepper and habanero pepper to make a purée.
- Combine the purée, black pepper, thyme, salt, and sliced onion in a pan. Cook until the water has largely evaporated.
- Stir in a dash of vegetable oil, and keep the sauce warm.
- Deep fry the fish until cooked through on all sides.
- Stir the fish into the pepper sauce, making sure it is well-coated with sauce.
- Serve hot.
Notes, tips, and variations[edit | edit source]
- When using catfish, clean with hot water to remove the slime.