- ½ pound (2 sticks) butter, divided
- 1 cup flour, divided
- 12 cups beef stock
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups sliced portobello mushrooms
- 4 cups sliced shiitakes
- 4 cups button mushrooms, sliced if large
- ½ cup sherry
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt one stick of the butter.
- Add ½ cup of the flour, stirring constantly, to form a roux.
- Cook, continuing to stir constantly, until roux takes on a pale blond color, about 5 minutes.
- Slowly stir in the beef stock.
- Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Reduce heat to a simmer.
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, melt the remaining stick of butter with the olive oil.
- Add the portobellos, shiitakes and button mushrooms and sauté until mushrooms are moist and tender, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and dust mushrooms with the remaining ½ cup of flour, stirring gently to incorporate flour.
- Combine mushrooms and beef stock in the large pot.
- Stir in the sherry.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until flavors are melded and soup thickened slightly, about 10 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Recipe by Chef Taylor Piercefield