Cookbook:Mushroom Barley Bean Soup
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 10 cups (2400ml) water
- 1 med onion, chopped
- 8 oz (230g) mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 1 cup (240ml) white beans
- 1 cup (240ml) barley
- 1 or 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 or 2 zucchini, chopped
- vegetable or chicken soup mix or stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- Soak the beans for several hours and set aside.
- In a large pot (the same one you'll make the soup in), sauté onion for about 3 minutes.
- Add carrots and zucchini; sauté 5 minutes more.
- Add mushrooms, sauté until they release all their liquid.
- Add the water, barley, beans, spices, and stock (or soup mix).
- Cook for a few hours.
Notes, tips, and variations
- Mushrooms release a lot of liquid when cooking. You can add this liquid to the soup, as directed above, or boil it off to make more strongly flavored vegetables.
- Cubed meat can be added to this soup.