Cookbook:Mung Bean and Brown Rice Curry
From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
(Redirected from Cookbook:Mung Beans and Brown Rice)
This is a hearty vegetarian dish that can be eaten hot or cold and served as an entire meal. The recipe will feed four with leftovers and keeps for a week refrigerated.
- 1/2 teaspoon oil
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon tumeric
- 1 cup dry brown rice
- 1 cup mung beans (dry)
- 5-1/2 cups water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups oil
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano (ground)
- Heat the oil in a large pan.
- Add the mustard seeds.
- When they begin to pop add the turmeric and fold in the rice and beans until coated with oil.
- Add the rest of the spices and water.
- Simmer about 45 minutes, most of the water will be absorbed.
- Remove from heat and add vegetables.
- Make the marinade and pour mix in.