Jump to navigation Jump to search
Mishti Dol is a traditional Bengali dish. Caramelized sugar is the secret to it.
- 3 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon yoghurt, whisked
- 1 tablespoon water
- Place a heavy bottom pan on the heat. Add milk and warm it on medium heat.
- Keep aside 1/3rd of the sugar and add the rest of sugar into the milk.
- Reduce the heat and continue to heat the milk till it reduces to half.
- Then take it off stove and keep aside.
- In another pan, put it up on the heat and add the kept aside sugar. While on a low medium heat, allow the sugar to get warm and then melt. You will gradually notice the colour changing to brown and start caramelizing.
- When it gets to the point of a golden bubbly mixture, add a tablespoon of water in the caramelized sugar and then pour this mixture into the heavy bottomed pan with milk. Stir well until it combines well.
- Once milk cools off, add the whisked yoghurt, stir well and pour the mixture into earthen pots.
- Let the doi set in a warm place for few hours. Once set, refrigerate and serve chilled.