Cookbook:Middle Eastern Meatballs
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Middle Eastern Meatballs|
Middle Eastern Meatballs
- 1 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 to 2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon crushed dried mint
- salt to taste
- ¾ pound 93% lean ground beef
- ½ cup cooked brown rice
- ⅓ cup finely chopped onion
- ¼ cup packed cilantro, chopped coriander
- ¼ cup packed flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- In a small bowl, whisk together the yogurt, garlic, and mint.
- Season to taste with salt.
- Set the broiler rack 5 inches from the heat.
- Preheat the broiler.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the meat, rice, onion, cilantro, parsley, cinnamon, cumin, red and black peppers, plus ½ teaspoon salt, stirring mixture with a fork until it is well blended
- With your hands, for the mixture into 1½ inch meatballs.
- As you make them, place the meatballs on a baking sheet that fits under the broiler.
- Broil the meatballs until they are well browned on top, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Using tongs, turn and cook until the meatballs are browned outside and no longer pink in the center, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Transfer them to a serving plate and serve warm, passing the yogurt sauce in a bowl.