Cookbook:Middle Eastern Lamb Kabobs
From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
- 1 pound (450 g) leg of lamb (shank end), cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground cumin
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tbs cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbs smoked paprika
- Soaked bamboo skewers
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed and minced
- Combine all ingredients except lamb in a gallon size zip-top bag. Add lamb cubes and toss to coat; refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, drain lamb; discard marinade. Thread 4 cubes onto 1 skewer. Repeat until all lamb has been skewered.
- Fire up a charcoal grill for 15 minutes. Add lamb and cook 8 minutes per side for medium rare. Serve warm with couscous.
The vinegar will not turn the lamb into mush as it is not acidic enough to tenderize.