Jump to navigation Jump to search
Lussekatter (Saffron Buns) are served on St. Lucia Day (13 December) in Scandinavia.
- ½ tsp. crushed saffron threads (¼ tsp. powder)
- ¾ c. (180ml) half and half, lukewarm...., half and half refers to a mixture of 50% milk and 50% cream.
- two pkgs. yeast (4½ tsp.) dissolved in ¼ c. very warm (edit lukewarm) water
- ½ c. (120g) melted butter
- two eggs, beaten
- ¾ c. (180g) sugar
- one tsp. salt
- 4-5 c. sifted flour
- Raisins to decorate
- Mix saffron in warm half and half and let stand while dissolving yeast in the water.
- Mix half of flour with other ingredients and beat until well blended.
- Add flour until dough is smooth but not too firm. Knead on floured surface for ten minutes.
- Place dough in buttered bowl and let rise until double (1½ hours).
- Roll seven-inch-long sticks and form S-shaped buns with their ends curled in. Place a raisin in each curl.
- Place buns on buttered sheet, cover and let rise 45 minutes. Brush with beaten egg and bake at 375-400°F (190-200°C) for 10-15 minutes.