Cookbook:Lemon Pickle 2
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Lemon Pickle 2|
|Servings||about a pint of pickle|
|Time||preparation: 20 minutes
maturing: 1 month
Lemon pickle is a traditional condiment used with Indian food. Many pickle recipes from India have oil to help preserve the pickle, but this recipe uses no oil.
- lemons - 8 small or 4 large
- ½ cup of salt
- ¼ - ½ cup of sugar
- 4 small green chilis
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard seed
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 tsp fenugreek seed
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 - 2 star anise
- Cut lemons into small pieces, and place in a bowl.
- Cover with salt and set aside for at least 4 hours (better 24!)
- Chop the chilis finely.
- Dry-roast the yellow mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, star anise, and chopped chilis on a high heat, shaking constantly - don't burn them!
- Strain the juice from the lemons into a small saucepan, add the turmeric, ginger and sugar, and simmer for 2-3 minutes until the sugar has dissolved. If there isn't enough juice, add a tablespoon or two of water.
- Add the spices and sugar mixture to the bowl of lemons, and mix together well.
- Pack into a pint jar, pressing the pieces in if needed, to ensure that the liquid covers all the lemon pieces.
- Set aside to mature for 1 month.
Notes, tips and variations
- If you don't have fresh chilis, add some dried chilis or chili powder. The pickle in the photo has three whole dried chilis in it.