- 2-3 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 2-3 cloves of garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 sprig of rosemary (remove ‘leaves’ from sprig and chop)
- 1 tsp of dried oregano
- 2-3 mid sized carrots (chopped, about 1/4 inch or shredded)
- 1-2 sticks of celery (chopped, about 1/4 inch)
- 1 lbs of ground beef
- 3-4 cups of tomato pulp
- 7-10 basil leaves (depending on size, finely chopped)
- salt and pepper
- 1 quart of whole milk
- 1/2 cup of flour
- 1/2 cup of butter
- salt, pepper
- 4-5 sprigs of fresh thyme
- one box of Lasagna plates (you may wish to cook these per the package instructions prior to use)
- 1 1/2 cups of grated mozzarella
- large pot
- medium sized pot, preferably with thick bottom
- deep casserole dish
- Cut all ingredients that must be chopped before starting to cook.
- Heat olive oil in large pot on medium heat.
- Put in onion and garlic, stir. Let fry for about 2-3 min., Careful: do not burn the garlic!!
- After 1 min add rosemary oregano, carrots and celery, stir. Let cook for another 2 min.
- Add ground beef, stir. Cook until all is browned.
- Add tomato pulp, stir.
- Add basil, salt, pepper, stir.
- Cook everything for about 20 min, stirring occasionally.
- If it gets too thick, add some water.
Bechamel Sauce This is difficult to make. Here's an easy teach to it:
Foodwishes on Youtube
I couldn't explain it better
Bringing it all together...
- Preheat oven to 390°F/200°C
- Cover bottom of casserole dish with a bit of Bolognese sauce
- Cover with a layer of lasagna plates, break (or cut) to fit if necessary
- Layer on some Bolognese sauce and Bechamel sauce
- Keep on layering lasagna plates, Bolognese sauce and Bechamel sauce until edge of dish reached
- Cover with mozzarella
- Bake for about 30-40 min
- Bolognese sauce is also a great pasta sauce to go with spaghetti
- Dish can easily be prepared a day ahead, bake when needed (time might be a bit less, please check)