Cookbook:Khao Pad Gai (Thai Chicken Fried Rice)
|Khao Pad Gai (Thai Chicken Fried Rice)|
|Servings||3 as a meal|
This is Thai-style fried rice with chicken, as street vendors in the central region of Thailand fix it. Note that this is a very imprecise recipe, and so "cups" means "handfuls". Any measuring tool that holds about the capacity of a large handful will do.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- Peanut oil (for frying)
- 1 large chicken breast, sliced in thin strips
- 2 eggs (do not beat!)
- 4 cups [900g] cooked, cold (meaning refrigerated for a while) Thai jasmine rice
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped into strips
- 3/4 roma tomato, also in strips
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup (180g) cilantro (coriander), finely chopped
- Nam pla (Thai fish sauce, can be found in the ethnic section of the grocery store)
- Soy sauce
- Sugar (if you live in a part of the world where palm sugar is easily available, use that)
- 2 Cloves fried garlic (made by mincing the cloves and frying them until brown in 2 tablespoons of oil. Save the oil with the garlic as well!)
Optional[edit | edit source]
- Thai chili sauce (for a different kind of sweet flavor)
For garnish[edit | edit source]
- 3 slices cucumber, peeled (note: can run fork down all sides lightly if desired)
- 3 slices roma tomato
- 3 sprigs green onion
- lettuce leaf
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Make sure that all of the ingredients are in small bowls right by the wok/large frying pan.
- Add about 4 Tablespoon peanut oil to the wok and turn the flame on high heat.
- When the oil is almost smoking, add the chicken strips and push around vigorously with a wok spoon or spatula.
- When the chicken seems as if it is starting to brown, push it up the side of the wok and crack the eggs into the wok.
- Stir the eggs around a bit. When almost fully scrambled, mix in the chicken and stir around for 30 seconds more.
- Push the eggs/chicken to the side, add some more oil, and throw in the tomato and onion. Stir-fry for about 5 minutes. They will not look done, but in the end, they will be fine.
- Add the cold cooked rice and mix it all in.
- Turn the heat to low and then throw a few splashes of nam pla and soy sauce on to taste.
- Put about a tablespoon of sugar (or more if wanted), a teaspoon of salt (the same applies), a teaspoon of MSG if wanted, a splash of vinegar, and two tablespoons of chili sauce if wanted. Lastly, put the garlic on top as well.
- Stir it all in and turn off the heat.
- On a large platter, arrange the garnishes on a lettuce leaf, and plate the fried rice next to it.
- Invite whoever is dining to eat the garnishes with the fried rice.