Cookbook:Italian Braised Shortribs
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Cookbook | Ingredients | Recipes
Short-ribs cooked in red wine with classic Italian herbs makes them flavorful, moist, and fork tender. Also see: Braised Shortribs.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 3 pounds English-cut short-ribs
- 1 quart red wine, preferably Chianti
- ½ cup tomato paste
- ½ quart beef broth
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 10 whole sprigs thyme
- 4 whole sprigs rosemary
- 3 tbsp finely chopped oregano
- 18 basil leaves
- Freshly ground black pepper
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Whisk together tomato paste and wine. Set aside.
- Season shortribs with salt and black pepper.
- Heat a 6-quart cast iron or enamel Dutch oven over medium high heat. Pour in oil and add shortribs, one at a time, until browned on all sides. Remove and keep warm.
- Add wine mixture to Dutch oven and whisk continuously to dissolve browned bits. Add remaining ingredients and place in a cold oven. Set oven to 250°F and cook for 5 ½ hours.
- Remove shortribs and strain sauce back into Dutch oven. Discard herb pieces and shred short ribs. Discard bones.
- Add shortribs back into sauce and heat over low heat just until heated through. Serve warm.