Irish Potatoes, also known as Irish potato candy are potato-shaped sweets that are unique to the Philadelphia area and very popular around St. Patrick's day. Despite their name, they do not contain any potato. It's a common recipe to make with kids as it requires no cooking and it's very hard to mess up.
- 1 part cream Cheese
- 2 part dry coconut shavings (can be omitted)
- 3 parts confectioners sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Place the sugar, cream cheese, coconut shavings, and a small amount of vanilla extract into a large bowl.
- Knead by hand until ingredients are thoroughly mixed. It should have the consistency of dough. If it's too dry, add more cream cheese. If it's too soft, add more sugar.
- Break off small amounts and roll them in your hands until they form balls. They should be small enough to be eaten in one bite
- Roll the balls in cinnamon until they are completely coated
- (Optional) Place completed "potatoes" in the refrigerator for a few hours until they are firm