Jump to navigation Jump to search
This potato casserole recipe is a long-time favorite in Utah. It is super fattening but very good. You can reduce the fat by using low fat cheese and fat free sour cream, and omit the butter. You can also use low-fat cream of chicken soup.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 32 oz frozen hash browns
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- ¼ cup melted butter (you can omit this to save calories and reduce the fat content)
- ½ cup chopped green onions (optional)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup corn flakes cereal tossed with 1 tablespoon melted butter for topping
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Combine all ingredients except cornflakes in a large bowl.
- Transfer the mixture to an 11x13-inch glass baking dish.
- Sprinkle the corn flake mixture on top.
- Bake at 350°F for 40 minutes. It's done when it is all bubbly and a little bit browned on top.
Notes, tips, and variations[edit | edit source]
- You can mince up a white or yellow onion and use in place of green onion.
- For a milder onion flavor you could substitute chives for the green onions.
- Instead of hash browns, you can also use those frozen potatoes O'Brien that have chunks of peppers in them.