Jump to navigation Jump to search
This potato casserole recipe is a long-time favorite in Utah.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 32 oz. bag of frozen hash browns (you can also use those frozen potatoes O'Brien that have chunks of peppers in them)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup melted butter (you can omit this to save calories and reduce the fat content)
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions (some people call these scallions or spring onions) (you can omit the onions if you don't like them)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup corn flakes tossed with 1 tablespoon melted butter for topping
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- You just take everything above except the corn flake topping, stir it all up in a big bowl, and dump the mixture into an 11x13 glass baking dish.
- If you want the corn flake topping, then sprinkle that on top before baking.
- Bake at 350F for 40 minutes. It's done when it is all bubbly and a little bit browned on top.
This is super fattening but very good. You can reduce the fat by using low fat cheese and fat free sour cream, and omit the butter. You can also use low fat cream of chicken soup.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- You can mince up a white or yellow onion and put it in the dish in place of green onion.
- For a mild onion flavor you could substitute chives for the green onions.