Cookbook:Hamburgers Encrusted with Black Pepper
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Cracked pepper adds a nice texture difference between the creamy cheese, tender meat, and the toasted bun, and complements the chipotle mayo.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
Chipotle mayo[edit | edit source]
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2-4 chipotle chiles, finely minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Burgers[edit | edit source]
- 1 pound ground chuck steak
- ¼ cup cracked black peppercorns, plus more if needed
- 4 slices of your favorite smooth-melting cheese, room temperature (optional)
- Dijon mustard
- 4 hamburger buns, halved
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Whisk together all chipotle mayo ingredients together until well combined. Refrigerate until needed.
- Shape beef into 4 equal patties. Brush with Dijon mustard on both sides and sprinkle liberally with kosher salt on both sides.
- Place peppercorns in a pie pan. Press patties lightly on both sides into pepper. Set aside.
- Heat about 25 charcoal briquets in a large chimney starter. Reapply grate.
- Add burgers and cook, turning often, until internal temperature reaches 143˚F for medium rare, 157˚F for medium, and 167˚F for well/toast.
- Remove to a plate and let rest for 5 minutes. If using cheese, place one slice on top of each patty. Meanwhile, toast buns on the grill.
- Spread buns with chipotle mayo. Add a patty on top of the bottom half of a bun and top with the other half. Serve warm.