Cookbook:Gudeg (Green Jackfruit Stew)
|Gudeg (Green Jackfruit Stew)|
Gudeg (green jackfruit stew) is a very sweet dish made of young jackfruit, cooked with palm sugar and seasoning until it turns dark brown. It is usually served with rice, coconut milk soup (areh), tofu, country chicken egg, and traditional krecek sambal goreng (another traditional Jogjanese food).
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- ½ lb (250 g) jackfruit
- 5 shallots
- 10 candlenuts
- 10 garlic cloves
- 4 Indian bay leaves / salam
- 2 inches bruised galangal
- 2½ tsp (12 g) coriander seeds
- 1¼ tsp (6 g) cumin
- ¼ cup (62 ml) coconut sugar
- 2 cup (500 ml) coconut milk
- 2 tsp (30 g) tamarind
- 2 lb (1 kg) chicken (cut into small pieces with bone)
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Cut jackfruit into 1 inch-thick pieces and wash.
- Boil jackfruit in water until tender. Drain.
- Grind shallots, candle nuts, garlic, salam leaves, and galangal together until fragrant. Add the chicken pieces and toss to coat.
- Stir-fry chicken until it changes color. Add 4 cups of water and coconut sugar, and bring to a boil.
- Add jackfruit and simmer until chicken and vegetables are tender.
- Add coconut milk 5 minutes before it's done; bring back to a boil.
- Serve hot with rice.
See also[edit | edit source]
For more ingredients and preparation instructions about traditional Indonesian food, you can follow links below: