Cookbook:Green Mango and Cumin Drink (Aam Panna)
Aam panna or Aam Jhora is a green mango drink widely consumed in northern India during summer months. Apart from being delicious and refreshing, aam panna is believed to have several health benefits.
The recipe calls for green mangoes, sugar, rock salt, roasted cumin seeds and mint leaves. The quantities can (and should) be varied to suit individual taste preferences. This recipe yields a concentrate which can be stored for around 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
- 4 medium-sized green mangoes
- ½ cup (120 mL) sugar
- 2 level tablespoons (30 mL) rock salt
- 1 level teaspoon (5 mL) roasted cumin seeds
- 1 roasted chili
- A handful of fresh mint leaves
- Cut mangoes into 3 slices each - two from either side of the seed and one with the seed in it.
- Pressure cook mangoes with one small cup of water. Turn off heat as soon as the pressure cooker whistles once.
- Open cooker after 5-7 minutes and leave to cool.
- Alternatively roast the whole mangoes over an open flame, till the skin gets chared and the flesh is soft. The charred skin will peel off easily and you can squeeze out the pulp with your hands. This gives a nice smoky flavour to the dish.
- Grind sugar and roasted cumin seeds using a food processor. (If using chilli, grind that too.)
- Mince mint leaves in a food processor.
- When cool, squeeze pulp of mangoes into a blender using hands. Discard skin and seeds.
- Purée mango pulp until smooth.
- Add ground sugar, rock salt, roasted cumin seeds, chilli powder and minced mint leaves. Blend well.
- Store in clean plastic/ glass bottle. Refrigerate.
To serve, add 4-5 teaspoons of concentrate to a glass of water. Enjoy!