Cookbook:Green Bean Casserole (Vegan)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Green Bean Casserole (Vegan)|
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 ½ cups mushroom, chopped
- 1 ½ lb green beans
- 2 cups chopped parsnips
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Pepper to taste
Preparation[edit | edit source]
- In a wide-bottomed saucepan, add ½ tablespoon of coconut oil and set to low heat. Add the onions and cook for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally to caramelize. If the onions look dry, splash a bit of water into the pan.
- Put the parsnips in a steamer for about 10 minutes. Set aside and let them cool.
- Remove the ends of the green beans and cut them into 2-inch (5 cm) pieces. Steam them for 8 minutes. Set them aside in an 8×8-inch (200×200 mm) baking dish.
- Once the onions have caramelized, set them aside. Sauté the mushrooms in the same pan for one minute.
- Add garlic, and stir for 5 minutes.
- Add half of the garlic and mushroom mixture to the green beans.
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F (177 °C).
- Put the other half of the garlic and mushroom mixture, as well as the steamed parsnips in a blender. Add the nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, and red pepper. Blend until smooth.
- Pour the blended mixture over the mushrooms and green beans. Stir to coat, and top with the caramelized onions.
- Bake for 30 minutes.