Cookbook:Great American Potato Salad
From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
|Great American Potato Salad|
Great American Potato Salad
- 2 pounds (3 or 4 medium) russet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon plus ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 1 medium rib of celery
- ¾ teaspoon celery seed
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- ¾ teaspoon powdered mustard
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- Peel and cut potatoes into ¾ inch cubes.
- Cover potatoes with an inch of water in a large saucepan and boil.
- Add 1 tablespoon salt to boiling water and reduce heat to medium.
- Simmer about 8 minutes, stirring gently once or twice, until potatoes are tender. (Taste a piece-don't overcook!)
- Drain potatoes and place in a large bowl.
- Toss gently with vinegar, with a rubber spatula.
- Cool potatoes. They must be no more than barely warm to mix.
- Chop celery fine.
- Stir together celery, celery seeds, mayonnaise, dry mustard, onion, parsley, pepper, and ½ teaspoon salt.
- Gently fold together dressing mix and potatoes.
- Cover and refrigerate at least an hour, until thoroughly chilled.
Tips, Notes, and Variations
- You may have to substitute celery salt for the celery seeds, but then leave out the salt in the dressing.
- Do not mix too much once the potatoes are in, or they will break down.
- A couple of hard-boiled eggs, diced about ¼ inch may be added when the final mix is made.
- Do not save for more than 24 hours.